The Edmonton Oilers have to submit their protection list for the upcoming Seattle Kraken expansion draft. They have to option to protect 8 skaters and a goalie or 7 forward, 3 defensemen, and a goalie. There are players that will be protected for sure, players that are on the bubble, and players that they want to be selected.
The on the bubble list is where there could be some arguments. There are pros to each one of these players staying.
- Kailer Yamamoto
- Yamamoto is currently a restricted free agent. Believe he will be protected, but if the Oilers re-sign Larsson before the Expansion Draft, they will only be able to protect 4 forwards.
- Tyler Benson
- A young player in the organization he is the closest non-lineup regular to making the jump from the AHL to the NHL.
- Josh Archibald
- A good player in Edmonton’s bottom 6 and on the penalty kill. He is on a great value contract as well.
- Dominik Kahun
- Kahun may have had an underwhelming year last year, but he still could have something to prove.
- Stuart Skinner
- With Mike Smith being a free agent and Mikko Koskinen’s cap hit being high. Skinner may find himself being the goalie Edmonton protects.
Overpaid or underdelivering. These players would actually help the Edmonton Oilers out if they were selected.
- James Neal
- His $5.75 million cap hit is something the Edmonton Oilers wouldn’t miss. It would also help them sign some bigger free-agent fish.
- Zack Kassian
- Ever since Kassian signed his $3.2million/year contract his play has seemed to dip. He is no longer playing top 6 or bring energy to his game.
- Mikko Koskinen
- After Mike Smith secured the number one spot last year, it has made it apparent that Koskinen is not the number one goalie the Oilers are looking for.
I do not know what the Seattle Kraken are going to be looking for when picking a player from the Edmonton Oilers. I do know that the player being selected from the Oilers will not leave a large hole in the lineup. The Oilers will still need to add some players later this offseason, but I don’t think it will get worse in the expansion draft.