Detroit Red Wings @ Edmonton Oilers
15 MAR 2013 – 7:30 PM MST
Television – Sportsnet West
Octopus Thrower is the Red Wings site on the Fansided Network
- Oilers begins a four game homestand tonight after finishing the nine game roadie in Colorado on a high note. Oilers went 3-4-2 on the road trip, and they’ll need to start stocking points at home if htey want to entertain the thought of getting into the playoffs. They’ll have the chance with fourteen of their remaining 22 games at home. Detroit is coming off a 5-2 loss in Calgary that saw goaltender Jonas Gustavsson allow five goals in 22 shots. Edmonton is 4-4-2 in their last ten, while Detroit is 5-3-2.
- LINE CHANGE: Teemu Hartikainen will be in for Ryan Jones (illness). All else remains the same from last game.
- While it’s apparent that the Red Wings are slumping a bit (1-4-1 in their last six), I wouldn’t go writing off their ability to put the puck in the net. Both Henrik Zetterberg (27 points in 27 games) and Pavel Datsyuk (26 points in 26 games) are point per game players, and they’re pretty good hockey players on top. Damien Brunner (who played a significant amount of time with Linus Omark in Switzerland during the lockout) leads the team with ten goals. So, there’ll be plenty to do out there.
- USELESS STAT: Oilers are 2-0-0 since Shawn Horcoff has returned to the lineup after his knuckle injury. It’s a sign.
- IN NET: Devan Dubnyk (7-9-4, .919 / 2.74, 1 SO) will go for Edmonton tonight, while Jimmy Howard (10-7-4, .914 / 2.46, 2 SO) will start for the Wings after missing Detroit’s last game with the flu.
With a win tonight, the Oilers could be two points from the eighth spot. I can’t believe I’m saying that either.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Dave – @rustyknuckler
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets
Tags: Edmonton Oilers