The Oilers failed to score against Detroit and were shutout for the first time this season.
- The first period wasn’t too awfully bad. Edmonton was outshot 8-6, but didn’t look lost. That was the first period.
- I counted at least five point blank shots for Detroit in the slot. Each Red Wing had at least one second of free time to unload the puck about eight to twelve feet in front of Devan Dubnyk.
- Point blank shots. Kind of like that one.
- Coach Krueger tried mixing the fourth line up a little bit, scratching Ben Eager and moving Chris Vande Velde back to 4C. Ryan Smyth got put back on 3LW. It was a lot better than watching Smyth on 4C, but it didn’t transpire into much otherwise.
- Ales Hemsky got blasted with a puck in the foot. He remained on the ice for about 30 more seconds and hobbled to the dressing room. He didn’t return to action. Jack Michaels states that Hemsky’s foot isn’t broken, and that he’s currently day-to-day.
- AGAIN WITH THE ICE TIME – It’s no secret that this team has trouble scoring goals. With that in mind, I’d probably have guys who are known to score goals on the ice a bit more, what with the whole “trouble scoring” thing. Inexplicably, Mike Brown is on the ice for 11:14. I’m not blaming Mike Brown for this, as scoring goals ain’t his bag. But what the hell is he doing on the ice for over eleven minutes? Add the fact that he was in the box for five minutes after scrapping with Jordin Tootoo (the Wings scored shortly after the scrap). Good on Brown for pulling decent ice time, but man, I probably would’ve thrown 64 or 14 out there for another shift or two.
- Devan Dubnyk’s first goal is one he’d like back. Otherwise, no complaints. Had the Oilers scored at least one goal, I may have had a complaint. I ain’t complainin’.
- Here’s where I could complain about the special teams, but the Oilers didn’t have a power play all night. So there’s that.
- Team is 1-3-2 on the current road trip, and they’re back in action tomorrow night versus Nashville. Start pregaming now. Might need it for the game.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Dave – @rustyknuckler
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets
Tags: Edmonton Oilers