Just as I’m gloating a little bit about Calgary reacquiring Brian McGrattan (when they could’ve just picked him off of waivers a day ago), Ryan Rishaug chimes in.
Source confirms Oilers were one of several teams who had a claim in on Volpatti.Caps lower in standings, they got him.
— Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) February 28, 2013
We’re on a road to nowhere. Come on inside.
Just what the Oilers need. After waiving Hordichuk, a guy who has EIGHT MINUTES OF ICE TIME in the entire season, Ryan Rishaug reports that the Oilers laid a claim on Vancouver’s thirteenth best forward in Aaron Volpatti.
Fortunately, the Capitals (who are simmering with fifteen points in the East) also had a claim on Volpatti. Because they’ve a poorer record than Edmonton, he’s now he’s all decked out in stars and stripes.
How about a move that helps increase 5 on 5 scoring? You know, that thing the Oilers are last in the league at?
For the sake of fun, let’s pretend the Oilers were the lucky winners of the Aaron Volpatti Waiver Giveaway.
Here are tonight’s forwards versus Dallas. You can go ahead and inject Volpatti anywhere you feel that he’d help Edmonton win.
Now mind you, if you successfully claim Volpatti, you have to send someone to OKC.
Still want to do this? OK then.
Hall / Nugent-Hopkins / Eberle
Jones / Gagner / Hemsky
Smyth / Belanger / Yakupov
Eager / Vande Velde / Petrell
Going to go ahead and assume that no one wants to scratch any of Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, Smyth or Yakupov. If you do, please leave a comment. I’d love to read it.
- PAAJARVI is scratched tonight, and is the only one of this group that wouldn’t have to clear waivers if sent to OKC, although sending him down is a dumb idea. The fact that Paajarvi is scratched tonight is ridiculous, he’s a better player than at least three on tonight’s roster.
- HARTIKAINEN is on IR. Pretty much the same explanation as Paajarvi if he’s healthy though.
- EAGER – would have to clear waivers. You want to switch Eager up with Volpatti? Send Eager down? Doubt it’d happen, but OK.
- JONES - would have to clear waivers. Jones scratched? Not bloody likely. Jones’ chance of getting sent down is zero.
- PETRELL – Another guy who would have to clear waivers. Inject Volpatti to that fourth line and you’ve got 55-54-Volpatti. While 55-54-37 is no burning hell, you think the same line with Volpatti is any better?
Volpatti averaged the least ice time out of all 22 Vancouver skaters so far this year. How effective would he be with four minutes of ice time on the fourth line? Didn’t we just go through this motion with Hordichuk?
So now Volpatti’s a Capital. I hope they’re both excited about the process.
Let’s keep eyes on Volpatti and see how integral a job he does protecting Ovechkin, OK?
At least that’s over with.
Hearing the Oilers may be interested in claiming Tom Sestito off waivers. He isn’t 100 percent healthy right now, though.
— Frank Seravalli (@DNFlyers) February 28, 2013
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Dave – @rustyknuckler
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets