Could’ve been a lot messier out there.
- Here’s a short list of reasons THAT AREN’T why the Oilers lost last night: ”not enough grit”, “too small”, “no hits”. Why did the Oilers drop this one? It might have to do with getting just 19 shots and having the puck played too often in the Edmonton zone, and the overtime period left a little to be desired. But hey, that’s just me.
- Want to see a team with the ‘Chicago’ model? Let’s try Chicago. The Blackhawks showed everyone last night why they’re undefeated in regulation, and their overtime was really a pleasure to watch if you were a Hawks fan. Khabibulin did a pretty good job keeping the Oilers in this one, and was alone fighting when Marian Hossa scored the overtime winner. Patrick Sharp and Marian Hossa had a combined four whacks at the puck, and one of them was going in.
- Fun fact: ”The Chicago Model” won a Stanley Cup when Patrick Kane was on his entry-level deal. I’m hoping the Oilers can somehow find the playoffs while Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle are on their entry-level deals.
- ON THE NETMINDERS When Khabibulin allowed the second goal, I had made mention that it looked like a goal that Dubnyk would’ve stopped. This immediately meant that I was bagging on Khabibulin, or some other such nonsense. Frequent visitors know that I take liberal shots at Khabibulin’s game, but he did a pretty good job at keeping the team in the game last night. There there. There there.
- Am I concerned that Nail Yakupov tends to turn the puck over in his own zone? Yes. Yes I am. I’m even more concerned that he’s playing nine minutes total and how he’s starting on the fourth line. The guy had one of those electric “I’m going to wire this through the back of the net” goals on the power play last night. When the team is getting just 19 shots on the night, I’m going to play this guy more.
- No relief for the 5 on 5 woes, but Lennart Petrell and Jeff Petry tallied a shorthanded goal early in the first. Wanna see it? Two unlikely candidates open the scoring for the underdog Oilers. Would’ve been nicer if the team didn’t allow a goal to Patrick Kane less than a minute later.
- 19 shots against the number one team in the NHL isn’t going to get it done most nights, and Monday was no exception.
- CHEER UP . Okay, fine. All is not lost. The Oilers get Taylor Hall on Thursday in Dallas after serving a two game suspension. And while Chicago’s streak of 18 consecutive games with a point didn’t die last night, the Oilers were able to somehow scrape a point out of all of that.
- Ed Olczyk, what the hell man?
- Yes, I’m outraged at the fact that Nail Yakupov didn’t let Dan Carcillo run him. C”mon, baconator. Get out of here.
As you may know, I’m a big fan of the EA Sports NHL series.
Fire up the DeLorean and join us back to NHL ’95. Here’s a neat little Sporacle test which will quiz your knowledge of the starting rosters from this EA classic. You get 15 minutes. Good luck.
The Oilers will make a go of it in Dallas on Thursday night. Go out and have fun out there.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Dave – @rustyknuckler
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets