Gonna let the grey matter take over here.
- Devan Dubnyk was the best Oiler on the ice tonight. Dubnyk was nineteen seconds away from pitching a shutout when he allowed a goal during a penalty kill. 27 saves on 28 shots, Full marks to Devan Dubnyk, and a tip of the hat to Dan Tencer for pointing out that even with that miserable first period against the Sharks last week, Dubnyk’s save percentage is currently .916. Solid as a rock right now.
- Lennart Petrell scored Edmonton’s only goal in regulation. It’s not a flood of goals that we’re seeing from the bottom six, but it was a 5 on 5 goal from the third line. The goal was Petrell’s first point of the season, and both Sam Gagner and Ryan Smyth picked up an assist.
- Shawn Horcoff was the recipient of an ugly hit in the third period that caused him to hit the deck. He was able to skate off the ice, but did not return. Fear it may be a concussion, although nothing has been said yet. More info as it comes.
- The Oilers power play was 1 for 4 tonight (the “1″ comes from Nail Yakupov‘s game winning goal), but it looked lost on more than one occasion. Phoenix’s penalty kill looked pretty spot-on, even generating some shorthanded chances.
- Nail Yakupov’s OT goal was somewhat similar to the one he scored against the Kings in that he batted it in. After Yakupov’s goal, Coyotes defenceman Derek Morris thought it an especially good idea to cheapshot Ryan Whitney during the goal celebration. Super bizarre and spectacularly dumb, I hope Morris gets a game or two suspension.
This is a game that the 2011 Oilers would’ve lost by a couple of goals. Tonight, that wasn’t going to happen.
The Oilers take on the Sharks in San Jose on Thursday Night.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Dave – @rustyknuckler
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets
Tags: Edmonton Oilers