News and notes from the NHL today.
- Blues General Manager Doug Armstrong has signed a 5 year extension. I would like to commend St. Louis for actually announcing the amount of years (in this case, 5). I’m not saying, I’m just saying.
- The Winnipeg Jets have claimed winger Anthony Peluso off of waivers from the St. Louis Blues.
- Islanders defenceman Lubomir Visonovsky has announced that he is unable to return to the team for at least two weeks for “personal reasons”.
- The Canadiens and P.K. Subban have still not come to an agreement on a new contract. With each passing minute, it looks more and more like he’ll be held out of action against the Maple Leafs on Saturday night.
- Scott Gomez and Wade Redden have hit the waiver wire for the purpose of being bought out. They won’t be making 9 million dollars, but I bet you’ll see them both in the NHL this year.
- Travis Zajac has signed an eight year $46M contract to remain with the New Jersey Devils until the 2020-21 season. Let the comparisons to Shawn Horcoff fly, but eight years on a deal after a torn Achilles tendon is a slight risk, yes?
- The Toronto Maple Leafs have sent Matthew Lombardi to the Phoenix Coyotes for a fourth round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft. The Maple Leafs are retaining 1.5M of Lombardi’s salary, the first known instance (for me, anyways) under the new CBA where a team keeps part of a traded player’s salary.
- 20 years and eight teams later, defenceman Sean O’Donnell is calling it quits.
Jonathan is in Halifax tonight at the CHL/NHL Prospects game. Expect a recap in the not-too-distant future.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Dave – @rustyknuckler
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets
Topics: Edmonton Oilers