Here are some things that I heard today. I’m passing them onto you. Please enjoy.
- On Andy Sutton (knee) – I admit that I didn’t keep tabs on Andy Sutton‘s knee during the lockout. I knew that he was recovering from knee surgery, and that he could miss some regular season time. Turns out, he might miss a lot of regular season time. Sutton actually hadtwo knee surgeries (he had to have a second surgery, as the first one didn’t clear everything up), and he could miss some or all of this year’s shortened season.
- On Ryan Jones (eye) – He’s in Minnesota right now, and according to Steve Tambellini (who talked to both Bob Stauffer on 630 CHED and Mark Spector on 1260 today) he’s not able to get on skates. There was an awful lot of talk about Teemu Hartikainen or Magnus Paajarvi during this exchange. Tambellini said that he’ll “assess” where Jones is in a week. In other words, I’d expect ‘weeks’ for Jones.
- On Nikolai Khabibulin (hip) – Tambellini again: “We hope to have him cleared within the next couple of days. If not, we have Yann Danis“
- The starting goaltending job is Devan Dubnyk‘s to lose. I think we all had that inclination when Dubnyk was handed the keys to a 2 year deal originally worth $7M, but the words came out of Tambellini’s mouth today.
- Discussion was had today on Twitter as to whether or not it would be a good idea to burn an entry level year off of Nail Yakupov’s contract during a lockout shortened season. Tambellini was coy when asked on the radio today, however Bob Stauffer said that there’s no way that Yakupov doesn’t make this year’s squad. If I had to guess, I’d say you can look foward to seeing that guy on a line with Ales Hemsky.
- Upon hearing about about Andy Sutton, I called Bob to see if he’d talk about the ‘wow factor’ trade he had mention a few months back. Before I could get on the air, Bob took it and said that the ‘wow factor’ trade wasn’t likely to happen for a couple of reasons, some which were CBA related. I asked him if he though the Oilers were in the market for a defenceman, to which he replied that they’d have to see what they had with Ryan Whitney first. Of course, I hope Ryan Whitney comes out gangbusters in camp. If he doesn’t, Tambellini ought to find a defenceman quick.
- Hockey’s back, and that means it’s time for the annual “Should Shawn Horcoff Give Up His Captaincy” speech. My answer today is no, and just because Lee Fogolin did it 30 years ago doesn’t mean that Shawn Horcoff should do it today. There will be a time when Shawn Horcoff isn’t a part of this team. I don’t think we should be sneaking up on a guy who’s a ripe old 34 years of age asking him to rip the C off his sweater for someone who has two years of NHL experience. Ask me again next year.
THE LINEUP IN GENERAL
- Tambellini said that camp will be small, and figures to bring up “three or four” players from OKC to see if they’ll make the squad. In his address to the media today, Ralph Krueger stated that he expects to have five lines and eight defencemen at camp. If I had to guess the two defencemen out of OKC (other than Justin Schultz), I’d guess Colten Teubert and Taylor Fedun.
- As of today, Tambellini said that he’s not expecting to play any preseason games.
- Currently expects camp to open up on Saturday
- Stauffer predicts that 2013 will be a ‘year of transition’ (ugh) and that the Oilers should finish anywhere between “18th and 22nd”, or about “four points” out of the playoffs.
Much, much, much more coming up in the days ahead. We’ve got a whole new CBA to learn, plus camp in a week. We’re just getting started.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Dave – @rustyknuckler
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets