A pair of goals for Team USA’s John Gaudreau and Vince Trochek helped defeat Team Slovakia and send the Americans to the quarterfinals.
The game in a couple of sentences – The United States came out and flatly dominated the Slovakian team. It was 5-2 by the end of the first period, and USA never looked back. Team USA got goals from seven different players and had good enough goaltending to cruise past Team Slovakia.
- SPREAD IT AROUND – Seven different players scored for Team USA, but John Gaudreau and Vince Trochek had two apiece. Both Gaudreau and Trochek had three points (2-1-3), while Alex Galchenyuk and Jake McCabe had two (1-1-2).
- Matus Matis had a pair of goals for Team Slovakia, who were unable to come back after the first ten minutes of the first period.
- Slovakian goaltender Adam Nagy was chased from the crease at the 9 minute mark of the first peroid. Nagy surrendered three goals on eight shots. Replacement Patrik Romancik yielded an additional six on 32 shots. Team USA’s netminder John Gibson finished with 26 saves on 29 shots.
- OUCH: USA defenceman Shayne Gostisbehere was ejected from the game after “slashing” (read: it wasn’t a slash, more a poke, or a stab to the groin of) Slovakia’s Karol Korim. I’m going to leave that one alone.
- The United States will take on Team Czech Republic at 2 AM (4 Eastern) tomorrow morning. Team Slovakia will take on Team Latvia following USA/CZE.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Dave – @rustyknuckler
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets
Topics: World Juniors