It’s absolutely not good.
We’ve gone from hopeful optimism, to confusion, back to square one.
Gary Bettman has just responded to Donald Fehr’s press conference, and it’s no good.
Here’s a few bullets from the Bettman / Bill Daly presser:
From Bill Daly:
- term of CBA is a big demand
- term limits of contracts, “hill we will die on”. In other words, the NHL is in no way prepared to concede anything longer than 5 years.
- union is ‘cherry picking’ when they say both sides are close, it’s really not the case
And now, the reason you came here.
From Gary Bettman:
- NHL is looking for long term agreement, that’s what fans, players deserve, business partners deserve
- what owners did was virtually put a new 100M on the table on Wednesday night, in the hopes that it would help show that NHL wanted to get back and play very much as quickly as possible.
- Union’s reponse was shockingly silent, so to speak in these actions, almost no reaction,
- “The owners were besides themselves” said they don’t know what happened, but this process is over, “clearly the union doesn’t want to make a deal”
- Owners wanted to leave negotiating session, players requested they not leave
- Owners ready to make another concession, but needed some key elements met
- appears that the union is suggesting that we are close to a deal, those moves were contingent on the union specificially agreeing on other things, that didn’t happen
- “we have moved dramatically, we are proposing a long term system that will pay players billions and billions of dollars…but we have to have a system that works”
- “disappointed beyond belief”
- “take a deep breath and try to regroup”
- “the things we added to the table this week are now off the table”
I’m going to take this weekend off.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Dave – @rustyknuckler
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets