As each day passes without a new labour agreement, the number of clocks increases by exactly one.
Er, what I meant was that we all are getting a wee bit antsy to see some hockey.
Fortunately, the AHL is there. And because a handful of Oilers could very well be in Oklahoma City for part (or all) of the season, it makes purchasing AHL Live (the AHL equivalent of the NHL’s GameCenter package) that much more attractive.
I know that with the NHL GameCenter package, you can watch every game that isn’t in your local market as it happens. So if you’re in Edmonton, purchasing GameCenter to catch the Oilers is a counter-productive act. Then again, if there was a season, you could see every Oilers game on TV.
I had purchased GameCenter last year, and it was about $20 a month over eight months, which (in my mind) is well worth the price. So, will I buy the AHL Live package?
Let’s have a look. (Some of these numbers are taken from Neal’s latest over at Tend The Farm, so drop what you’re doing and check it out)
- Unavailable in NHL GameCenter, you can purchase a single game with AHL Live. The cost is about 7 bucks. If you’re unwilling to make a season commitment, $7 isn’t too bad an investment for a one-off.
- Here’s where it gets dicey: it’s $199 ($149 early bird) to purchase the entire season for one team. So if you plan on checking out the Barons (and only the Barons games), the price is equivalent to the NHL’ s GameCenter.
- If you plan on checking out more than one team, that price jumps to $399 ($349 early bird). Ahoy.
- The quality is somewhat…less than what you might expect. Roll tape.
That’s quite a drop off if you’re used to the clean, crisp HD footage over at GameCenter. Neal also goes on to explain that the bells and whistles of NHL GameCenter (like pause, rewind, go back ten seconds) aren’t available (yet?) in AHL Live. Oof.
Will You Buy AHL Live In 2012-13?
- Not a chance. It's not worth my money. (33%, 46 Votes)
- I'll try a game or two at $7 (32%, 44 Votes)
- Maybe, if they can promise an improvement in quality (25%, 34 Votes)
- I'm purchasing the entire season to see the Barons ($199) (9%, 12 Votes)
- I'm purchasing the entire season to see all teams ($399) (1%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 138
If you vote, comment as to why you voted that way.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Ian – @ibleedoil
Jonathan – @jonrmcleod
Troy – @heavyoilcountry
Check out the Oilers Army!
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets