- VV: Chris VandeVelde scored his first NHL goal. I’m not sure it’s how he envisioned it, but anytime Jordan Eberle assists on your first career goal, I’m going to go ahead and say that you’re just fine with it.
Steve Mason has had better days at work. This day wasn’t one of them. Should’ve had it, but didn’t. News at eleven.
- EIGHTY OR BUST: Jordan Eberle continues his drive for eighty points. Two assists in yesterday’s game give #14 a total of 73 points on the season. He’ll need seven points in six games to hit the big 80, a milestone that hasn’t been hit by an Oiler since Doug Weight had 90 in 2000-01.
- AFTERNOON OF THE FIVES: Ben Eager (#55) and Ladislav Smid (#5) both scored goals in yesterday’s victory. Tank talk just might have to be put away for the year. Now only if Khabibulin can score an empty netter on Khabibulin Mini-Stick Night later this week…
- 19 WINS FOR DUBNYK: Oh, this is so close you can taste it. Dubnyk had a lot of help by Columbus netminder Steve Mason, but 29 saves on 32 shots was enough to put the clamps on Dubnyk’s 19th win of the season. If Renney’s ‘win and you’re in’ philosphy hangs true for Dubnyk, he’d normally have a shot at hitting 20 on Wednesday…but Wednesday is Nikolai Khabibulin mini-stick night, and it would come as absolutely no surprise to see Khabibulin between the pipes on MINI STICK NIGHT. If #40 doesn’t get his shot on Wednesday, I’d think Friday versus LA.
- FLIRTING WITH LOW-END MEDIOCRITY: The team is 28th in the league? 5-2-3 over the last ten? Montréal actually has less wins than Edmonton? This is happening, right in your living room. Not sure if I should feel good, or really bad for the Habs. Actually, I’m quite encouraged by the team’s willingness to not fold in like a card table. If this team picks fourth or fifth, they might actually be forced into making a move that (gasp!) addresses the immediate needs on this team (cough, defence). Go on and say that there’s no pressure in beating Columbus, I’ll have to agree with that. But knocking a team that’s near the playoffs in Calgary is better than nothing, and defeating Dallas on Wednesday would be a small feather in a small chapeau. If dressing up in a chicken suit outside of Rexall Place would help management think that it would be a good idea to grab a top 4 defenceman, I’d probably be renting a chicken suit tomorrow.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Samson – @threwittki
Ian – @ibleedoil
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets