Remember last year when the 30th place Oilers visited Ottawa to grapple with the 29th place Senators? No?
Come on, it was the things that dreams were made of. Dustin Penner had two goals, while Andrew Cogliano had one. The Oilers lost 5-3…not bringing back any memories? Can’t say as I blame you.
Alright then. Somebody had to win that night. As the story tends to go, it wasn’t the Oilers.
The Oilers come into tonight’s game as the team bearing the riches (they’re 29th overall) while the Blue Jackets trail the Oilers by eights points in the standings. There are no playoff implications. No one is going to play spoiler. The Oilers haven’t won at home in three weeks. The Blue Jackets have dealt everything from their team that isn’t Rick Nash.
Sound exciting? After Coach Renney’s tirade last game, it’s riveting.
There are 13 games left remaining in this season. While I’m always longing for hockey around the middle of July, this season cannot end soon enough for Oilers fans. The Oilers are headed for Lotto land once more, and the Blue Jackets are right behind them. Barring a point collecting barrage, the Oilers won’t be the favourites going into the lottery for the first time in three years.
- Teemu Hartikainen has been called up. There are two sources confirming this at this time, one is Eric @AHLBarons, and the other is Dan Tencer. Ben Eager is out of the lineup again with back spasms, so I’d venture a guess that Hartikainen will spot for 55.
- Disgruntled? Angry? Confused? Hungry? Rick Nash is still a Jacket, and he’s still their leading scorer with 47 points (24G-23A) in 69 games. Vaclav Prospal is right behind him with 44.
- After some confusion today, Cam Barker will not be in the lineup. Theo Peckham will be his replacement. I support this move with great conviction.
- Devan Dubnyk is getting the nod tonight. Dubnyk is 14-17-1 with a .908 SV%. Now go pitch a shutout.
- Random weird line: 28-93-14.
Just win. Win with your manatee lines.
Somebody’s got to win tonight.
Why not the Oilers?
Have you checked out the ticket contest? Go. Do. See. Be somebody.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Samson – @threwittki
Ian – @ibleedoil
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets