Feb 6, 2012; Toronto, ON, Canada; Edmonton Oilers right wing Ales Hemsky (83) skates with the puck against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre. The Maple Leafs beat the Oilers 6-3. Mandatory Credit: Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

Just How Valuable is a 1st Round Pick Anyway?


With any basement dwelling team, trade deadline talk already surrounds the usual suspects, aged veterans and draft picks.  Not just any draft picks either, but the ever coveted 1st round pick. Naturally, trade discussion around the Oilers has focused on if and when the Oilers should trade Ales Hemsky and just what price he’ll fetch once the deed is done. Oil On Whyte contributor Grant has a bet going with Jason Gregor, Grant figures the Oilers don’t fetch a 1st round pick, while Gregor believes that a team will pay a 1st to acquire Hemsky.

The question that this raises is if Ales Hemsky is worth a 1st round pick, though I prefer to frame the question differently; is a 1st round pick worth Hemsky? To start, one has to realize that not all first round picks are created equal. We see this effect in pre-draft rankings, the 1st round often is broken down into the following brackets, top 3, top 10, and then the rest. For the purposes of this post, I’ve compiled a chart that shows how many NHL games played have been played by all members of draft class, broken down into four brackets; 1-3, 4-10, 11-20, and 21-30. I’ve done this for a ten year block, starting at the 2000 NHL entry draft up until the 2009 draft. I’ve also made a note of how many players never made a significant impact (played less than 100 games) for each draft year, by bracket. Of course, the numbers are slightly higher for the later draft classes, this variable more indicative of players yet to develop than “busts”. Furthermore, due do their untimely passings, Luc Bourdon and Alexei Cherapanov were never given the chance to make an impact at the NHL level.

(Before continuing on, I’d just like to state that this chart is subject to human error, and I’m in no way a professional statistician, so my odds calculations could be off. If there seems to be any grievous errors, please point them out and I will update this post.)

What conclusions can we draw from the above data? The most blatantly obvious is that a top 3 pick is virtually a lock to make an impact in the NHL, no top 3 player from 2000-2009 has simply faded away before getting 100 GP in. Does this mean the a top 3 pick is bust proof? Absolutely not; Cam Barker was a 3rd overall pick after-all. Alexander Svitov, another 3rd overall pick, barely made an impact with 179GP and a dismal 37 points.  After the top 3 however, there are no guarantees of getting NHL roster players. Even the 4-10 bracket of picks produces one to two players on average who will never make a meaningful career in the NHL. The other obvious point here is that the draft classes are extremely varied. 2003 produced a lot of NHL regulars evidenced by the large number of games played, while 2004′s later rounds pale in comparison.

So What are the Odds?

For somewhat simplicities sake, let’s imply that if the Oilers do get a 1st round pick for Hemsky, they’re going to want someone that can replace him and be a top 6 forward with similar production. It can be broken down into three outcomes, the odds of drafting a completely insignificant player, the odds of drafting an inferior player that is still an NHL’er, and the odds of drafting someone almost equal to or better than Hemsky in terms of production. We can also stipulate that it’s unlikely we get a top 10 1st rounder if we trade Hemsky, he’ll likely go to a contender, and we’ll say the pick can be anywhere from 11-30 (closer to 15-30 in all probability). Looking at 2000-2007 (I’ve excluded the final 3 years of the graph for the purposes of odds and averages, as they would unfairly skew the results), the bottom 20 picks produce on average seven insignificant players, they’ve also produced 9 players total for those seven years (just over 1 player average) that has a PPG rate almost as good, equal to, or better than Hemsky.

If you’re picking in the bottom 20, you have around a 5% chance of picking a replacement or upgrade for Hemsky. You have a 35% chance of getting an absolute dud, and the biggest odds (60%) are you get a roster player that plays in the bottom six or is a frequent call up.

Now, I don’t begrudge Oiler fans who might have overvalued 1st round picks, after all, 1st round picks of recent note have been Sam Gagner, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, Taylor Hall, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, but all but Eberle were top 10 picks. Lets not forget that Alexei Mikhnov, Jesse Ninnimaki and Rob Schremp were also 1st round picks. And this is why I’m leery of trading an established top six player for just draft picks, even if it is a 1st rounder. If Hemsky does go for a 1st, he better be fetching a roster player or a prospect with that pick.

Follow the Oil On Whyte crew on Twitter:

Jeff – @OilOnWhyte

Grant- @RealOilFan

Samson – @threwittki

Ian – @ibleedoil

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: 1st Round Pick Ales Hemsky Jordan Eberle Magnus Paajarvi Rob Schremp Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Sam Gagner Taylor Hall Trade Deadline

  • Realoilfan

    love the post…thanks for the stats. but you never did say where you fall on the wager aspect. will Ales garner a 1st rounder or not. The post you wrote, makes a compelling argument for a lot ofdifferent scenarios. but there is for simplicity, only one scenario…will the oilers get a first or not. the question is now that i have read your post, if the oilers do get a first rounder, is hemsky worth a that and a roster player? I say not a chance. as the roster player likely would be a “throw-in” to the deal. well from my perspective, we have a player that can step into hemsky’s role in OKC in omark. if this is a “re-build” and we want to know what we’ve got for the future, omark only has next year on his deal and we need to know if he’s a player, like we need to know that MPS is a player.

    • ibleedoil

      @Realoilfan My guess is that the Oilers don’t accept just a 1st for Hemsky, but I don’t think a team packages up a 1st with other pieces in order to get him. My guess if he does go. It’s a top 4 D plus long term prospect plus 2nd round pick. Might fetch higher value since Columbus is asking for a random on Nash. Hemsky is cheaper (contract wise) and is not long term if he doesn’t mesh with the team that trades for him. Whereas you are stuck with Nash if he doesn’t work out. Factor in that Hemsky, when healthy, had produced at the same level as Nash (though Nash is far better at scoring goals.) teams might find Hemsky a more viable option.

      Interesting to note that both are on pace to put up their worst statistical seasons in quite some time.

      Add the fact not many teams are selling, due to delusional GM’s, and Hemsky could, and should fetch a price higher than what I’ve listed. But given Tambo’s trade history, I’m doubtful.