06 FEB 2012 – 5:00 MDT
Can the Oilers make it four in a row? Your Game Preview awaits.
Tonight’s lines come courtesy of 630 CHED. Thanks!
Taylor Hall – Sam Gagner – Jordan Eberle
Shawn Horcoff – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – Ales Hemsky
Ryan Smyth – Eric Belanger – Ryan Jones
Ben Eager – Anton Lander – Lennart Petrell
Ladislav Smid – Jeff Petry
Ryan Whitney – Corey Potter
Cam Barker – Tom Gilbert
Who are these Oilers? Right now, these Oilers are red hot. Edmonton is victorious in their last three, and have nine points out of their last ten. Edmonton had an impressive late comeback against the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday Night, eventually winning in the shootout. Both the Leafs and Oilers are 5-4-1 over their last ten contests.
- GILBERT IN, SUTTON OUT? It’s a good day in Edmonton, for Tom Gilbert is ready to lace ‘em up against the Leafs tonight. Gilbert hasn’t played since sustaining an ankle injury on a dirty hit from Chicago’s Dan Carcillo. A little strange to see Andy Sutton getting held out of tonight’s contest, but Petry plays a lot of ice, and that’s how it goes tonight.
- Coach Tom Renney will be out of action tonight after catching a puck to the melon today. Associate coach Ralph Krueger will man the bench for the Oildrop tonight versus the Leafs.
- Sam Gagner. Sam Gagner, Sam Gagner. Also, Sam Gagner. Can Gagner capitalize on his last two games? Gagner tallied eight points in Thursday’s game over the Blackhawks, he had another three over the Wings on Saturday night. It’s a fun wave to ride, let’s hope it hasn’t yet crested.
- Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul both lead the Leafs in scoring with 54 points in 52 games. James Reimer will get the start tonight for Toronto between the pipes. Reimer is 9-5-4 with a .912 SV% to go along with his 2.69 GAA in 20 GP. Reimer is also coming off back-to-back shutouts, which is a pretty nice confidence boost.
- Speaking of goaltending, Devan Dubnyk is going to get his sixth consecutive start when he skates on the ice tonight for the Oilers. Over the past five games, Dubnyk is 4-0-1, and is a big reason why the Oilers have gotten points in their last five games.
- A GOOD CAUSE: The brains behind this operation (Grant @RealOilFan) has gotten himself into a deal with Oilers Nation and Team 1260 personality Jason Gregor. Grant seems to think that Ales Hemsky isn’t going to fetch a first rounder at the deadline, while Gregor seems to think that Hemsky is worth at least a first rounder. If Grant is right, Gregor is going to give us some sweet publicity over at Oilers Nation. If Gregor is right, Grant and I will make a donation to Gregor’s charity of choice, which is the MS Bike Tour. Regardless if we win or not, we will be making a donation. If you’re reading this, it’s a good cause, and it’s easy to donate a few bucks. For the record, I hope Hemsky gets resigned.
Follow Oil On Whyte on the Twitters.
Jeff – @OilOnWhyte
Samson – @threwittki
Ian – @ibleedoil
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets