Seeing the Oilers YoungStars defeat the Canucks YoungStars last night was a cathartic exercise if nothing more for the fans.
Along with it being a feel-good kind of game, we got to see a handful of Oiler prospects, many seeing their first action in Oiler sweaters.
Also of interest: I would pay $5 extra per game to hear John Garrett talk. A banter between him and Gene Principe would be like having Speedy Gonzalez and Droopy in the same cartoon.
Things I saw after the jump.
- Anton Lander did what Anton Lander will do. Lander finished the night with a pair of goals in Edmonton’s 7-2 romp, including a pretty little backhander that looked effortless halfway through the second. Lander already making the case to be in Edmonton this fall, finishing with five shots on the night and a +1.
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins got his first looks in an Oiler sweater. Nugent-Hopkins had an assist on a goal from Antti Tyrvainen. Would like to have seen RNH shoot the puck a little bit more (like, more than zero times), but along with his assist, he finished at +2.
- Solid performance from 2011 second round draft pick David Musil, finishing with a couple shots and +3
- Goaltender Olivier Roy handled sixty minutes quite well, stopping 22 of 24 total shots. He out-duelled his nemesis at the opposite end in David Honzik, who was pulled after the sixth goal in 23 shots in favour of Karel St. Laurent.
- Colin Smith had a couple of assists. The second period was clicking for everyone in a six goal outburst for Team Oil.
- There it is, right from Geno’s mouth. Colten Teubert got into a fight and lost badly. Bad enough for his face to bleed good enough to need attention off the bench. Why you’d pick a fight in a game like this is beyond me, but it happened. If he sees any more action this tournament, I doubt he’ll head in that direction again. Come to think of it, there were three fights in a prospect game. Not sure if that’s going to win anyone a job at this point. Here’s wishing a speedy recovery to Teubert.
Enjoy a little highlight reel put together by the folks at the official Oilers website. I laughed uncontrollably at the Windows 3.1 era sound effect that took place at 01:52, but this is a nice package of the big stuff that happened last night.
The Oilers play their second of three games at the YoungStars tournament on Tuesday versus the Winnipeg Jets, who will certainly be clad in their practice jerseys for the occasion.
Follow our Twitter feed @OilOnWhyte
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Internets