The Oilers are mired in a six game winless streak (0-4-2). Tonight, they look to take down an irritable Red Wings team coming off a pair of defeats.
Detroit Red Wings @ Edmonton Oilers – Game 38
04 JAN 2010 – 7:00 MST / 9:00 EST
Visit Octopus Thrower on the Fansided Network
And here we go…
- “The Detroit Model”- call it whatever you like, Detroit has been very productive over the last twenty years. Today, they bring their act to Edmonton working on a two game skid. Naturally, they’ll be in good spirits once they take the ice, I’m sure. This is Edmonton’s third of four meetings against the Wings this year. Detroit has taken the first two.
- Although Detroit has had more than their fair share of injuries, they’ve still got a formidable arsenal. Leading this arsenal is Henrik Zetterberg with 44 points (14G-30A) in 39 games.
- The Oilers have been playing line card shuffleboard for the last few days, trying to ice a complete team in the wake of their recent injury spurt. Both Linus Omark and Liam Reddox were called up to the big team yesterday, but it appears that they weren’t on the ice for this morning’s skate. According to Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal, they hadn’t yet landed in Edmonton. They’ll play if they’re able to rest before the game. (Darren Dreger now reports that Stortini and MacIntyre are sitting tonight, which would lead me to believe the team expects both Omark and Reddox).
- Also, look for defenceman Jim Vandermeer to make an appearance tonight after coming off his ankle injury. He’ll play for Strudwick.
- My heart says go with Dubnyk, but my brain says they’ll start Khabibulin. Khabibulin played well enough versus the Flames for the team to get a win, but seventeen shots is usually a tough number to pull a W.
Can the Oilers score first, pump Detroit’s water full of Valium and keep Jimmy Howard from finding his pads before the game starts?
We can only hope.
Enjoy the game, and GOILERS!
Follow our Twitter feed @OilOnWhyte
Click Here to visit our NHL main page “Too Many Men” – Fansided’s Hockey Home on the Intertoobs