Another chapter in the Battle of Alberta is scheduled to be written tonight at Rexall Place. A game preview and some notes from the previous game follow the jump.
Calgary Flames @ Edmonton Oilers – Game 37
01 JAN 2011 – 8:00 MST / 10:00 EST
Visit Flame For Thought on the Fansided Network
And here we go…
- After stringing along some wins in the middle of December, the Oilers are again finding trouble putting two points into the standings. A goal by Andrew Cogliano, plus two point efforts by Dustin Penner and Ales Hemsky got Edmonton into overtime, then a shootout. It wasn’t enough for the victory, they’re now 0-3-2 in their last five.
- In a move that I’m sure is very popular with Oilers fans, Linus Omark was demoted to OKC yesterday in favour of defenceman Shawn Belle. With the Edmonton Journal reporting that Ryan Whitney will be out at least a month with his ankle injury, you can expect to see some rotation on defence.
- Being last in the Western Conference sucks. There’s no two ways around it. But, take with it that Calgary is right next to Edmonton. And the leading scorer of that 14th place team is none other than the Souray-killer himself Jarome Iginla. Iginla has 35 points (16G-19A) in 38 game so far this season.
- I’ll bet you a couple of quarters that we’ll see Khabibulin in the nets tonight. The Flames are a team that Khabibulin has played well against this year. In three appearances, Khabibulin has a .934 SV% while going 1-1-1.
- Gosh, it’s been a long time since the Oilers have been in the playoffs. You remember those things? Playoffs? Yeah, me too. Even though it’s not bloody likely the Oilers come within a sniffing distance of the second season, wouldn’t it be good to win tonight?
You know, just like the team used to do?
Follow us on Twitter @OilOnWhyte
Check out our Facebook page too!
Enjoy the game, and GOILERS!