The Oilers will take on the Los Angeles Kings tonight at Staples Center. Your festive Game Preview follows after the jump.
Edmonton Oilers @ Los Angeles Kings – Game 33
23 DEC 2010 – 8:30 MST / 10:30 EST
Visit Rink Royalty on the Fansided Network
Things to look for:
- Edmonton tries to get back on the win waggon tonight against a Kings team that’s hovering around the Western Conference playoff bubble, albeit with a 19-12-1 record. The Kings have been powered by the goaltending of Jonathan Quick, who currently sits pretty with a 16-7-1 record and a sparkly .930 SV%. Completely unrelated, I hear he’s a big fan of the group Outkast.
- Theo Peckham will likely play in his 30th game this season tonight. That’s twice as many as he played last season, and we all remember how last season turned out. Peckham has five points (1G-4A) in 29 games to go with his 66 PIMs. Good on you, Teddy Peckman (skip to the 6:00 minute mark if you haven’t heard the oldest joke in the world yet).
- Tonight is winger Marco Sturm’s first game as a member of the Los Angeles Kings. Sturm was finally dealt from the Bruins to LA after weeks of speculation that he would be dealt, he may have already been dealt, or he needed to pass a proper physical before being dealt.
- Hey, what about Edmonton’s goaltending? Khabibulin played well enough last game surrendering two goals against the Sharks, while Edmonton was only able to pump one. Thought we might see some Dubnyk on this trip, and my guess would be it’d be this game instead of the one on Sunday.
- Speaking of that ‘one goal’, remember last game when it looked like Ryan Whitney scored his first goal with a couple of minutes remaining in regulation, yet it was credited to Dustin Penner? Turns out, the official score sheet has been changed to say that Ryan Whitney has finally scored his first goal of the season. To commemorate the assist machine’s accomplishment, The Oilers made a short video that is almost as funny as the Eberle goal controversy video earlier in the season right here. Ladislav Smid is a pretty funny guy.
After tonight, all bets are off until Sunday. Two points headed into a Christmas weekend would be alright by me. Let’s head into the Holiday season with some extra zeal in those Caesars.
Enjoy the game, and GOILERS