The Oilers will compete for their fifth consecutive preseason victory tonight against provincial rival (and also undefeated) Calgary Flames tonight at Rexall Place.
What’s better than the Battle of Alberta and a couple of cold ones?
There’s no one right answer to that last one. Get used to seeing the Flames this month, because after tonight and Sunday’s preseason matchup in Calgary, the Oilers play Calgary three more times in the month of October.
Lines and general life anecdotes follow the jump. What line will The Showstopper Steve MacIntyre appear on tonight?
Calgary Flames @ Edmonton Oilers – 01 OCT 2010
7:00 MST / 9 EST
Lines courtesy edmontonoilers.com
Hall – Horcoff – Eberle
Paajarvi – Gagner – Hemsky
Jones – O’Marra – Reddox
MacIntyre – Vande Velde – Stortini
Whitney – Gilbert
Smid – Foster
Peckham – Vandermeer
Things to look for:
- Nikolai Khabibulin looks to get his second start of the preseason, and Oiler faithful is on pins and needles that it can be at least as successful as his first. Still a little puzzled as to why the team played Martin Gerber so much if the idea was to waive him to the minors all this time, as I’m not sold on Khabibulin’s health as of yet. The team is entering their fifth preseason game, yet Khabibulin has seen action is just one so far. He had a positive first game, let’s hope to see more of the same.
- The top two lines look again to be Edmonton’s biggest threats to Calgary. Horcoff centres the two kids in Hall and Eberle, and Gagner centres what might be the best line on the team with Paajarvi and Hemsky.
- Ryan Jones and Liam Reddox will flank Ryan O’Marra on the third line. Time is running out of this preseason, both Jones and Reddox are competing to find a slot on this Oilers team.
- Theo Peckham is paired with Jim Vandermeer, as Peckham sets his eyes on an opening night roster spot.
- The Showstopper Steve MacIntyre is on the fourth line with Chris Vande Velde and Oilers favourite Zack Stortini. I’m calling it, MacIntyre sets up a beauty goal tonight. He’ll hit the tape of Vande Velde while the centre is screaming up the ice. A guy can dream, right?
Enjoy the game.