Some glancing blows about the YoungStars Game last night…
- The quality of the video and the audio streams needs to be addressed. – Holy cow, I realize that it was pre-day one out there, but the audio feed was bad, and the video feed was worse. I’m hoping that tomorrow’s game against Calgary’s kids at least looks a little bit better. You’d get roughly four seconds of good video, followed by three seconds of Cinemax After Dark, circa 1986. And that’s if your folks didn’t spring for the movie stations. Here’s the link. Tomorrow’s game starts at 8:30 MTN / 6:30 EST.
- Olivier Roy looks to be a capable netminder. It was a game against a bunch of other kids, I understand, and Olivier Roy had a couple of moments out there where he looked bewildered. But other than a couple of moments, Roy looked pretty solid. I don’t have a shot total in front of me (and with the stream that was going, it was near impossible to keep tally), but Roy had three or four truly solid saves amongst the pedestrian ones.
- Magnus Paajarvi is the real deal. Wow, this kid can fly. I’ve seen him on enough highlight reels on YouTube, now seeing him live was a real treat. The kid just glides. Paajarvi had two goals in the game, including a nifty one in front of the net from 2010 draft picks Tyler Pitlick and Martin Marincin.
- Taylor Hall is Also Fast, But Didn’t Score As Many Points As Magnus Paajarvi. It’s game one. Of a rookie tournament.
- Teemu Hartikainen appears to be a gamer. Hartikainen was a disturber in front of the Canuck goal all game, and he’s a speedster.
- Tyler Pitlick and Martin Marincin look like they have a future with the Oilers – Let’s say this – these are good draft picks, and from what I saw last night, Pitlick and Marincin were beauty components of the first Paajarvi goal. Pitlick was rewarded with an empty netter at the end of the game.
Did I miss anything? Yeah, a lot. Let’s hope the feed is in better shape for tomorrow’s Flames / Oilers tilt.